Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Proud to be an American!

I wasn't there to hear the story. But, let me repeat it for those who did hear the story. We were at the American Cemetery at Margraten, The Netherlands. We were there during their version of Memorial Day. Some saw an elderly man put some flowers on a grave. Ady asked the gentleman in Dutch, "Sir, why did you put flowers on that grave? Why that soldier?" The gentleman replied "I was 9 when the Germans took over Holland. I was a teenager when young Americans like this one gave up their lives so I and my fellow countryman can live in peace. I have adapted this grave to put flowers on it to pay my respects for the youth of Americans who sacrificed their lives for us willingly." For the first time I didn't want to take a picture. It's times like this that makes you swell with pride And thankfulness for those young men. Maybe on Memorial Day next year we should reflect the real meaning before we start our fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment